…and be your best self
I don’t know about you but the word “busy” is like nails scratching a blackboard for me, some use it instead of saying no to something, others see it as something to be proud of and self-importance. We all have busy in our lives and if we don’t take care of ourselves it can often leads to exhaustion and stress which are harmful to our minds, bodies, spirit and success.
I thought I would share with you some of the ways I take a moment to “un-busy” and take the stress out of my life. I am not perfect and some days I need a real kick in the ass to put them into action but knowing they are tools in my toolbox brings a sigh of relief.
- Box Breathing – Breathe in for a count of 4, hold your breath for a count of 4, exhale for a count of 4 and hold that for a count of 4. If you feel anxious before starting as you are doing the exercise, tell yourself that you are safe, in a safe place and nothing can harm you.
- Meditation – No its not just a fad, no you don’t have to sit cross legged, palms up and hum (you can if you want). Through meditation some people can bring their heart rate and their bodies to a calm state but everyone has their OWN experience. Some days I do a body scan to get started because I need a focus – I start at the top of my head and work my way down acknowledging every body part, some days it just takes breathing and going into a meditative state, some times I visualize what I want for my life but trust me it didn’t come easy. It took years of frustration, patience and a little help from an app called “headspace” but once I got it, I got it and it looks different every time. A similar type of meditation is called “tapping” that one I am still trying to wrap my head around, but one of these days it will be another tool in the toolbox.
- Gratitude Journal – Lets face it, you cant stay in a negative space if you are grateful. Some do this first thing in the morning before they start work, they write down 10 things they are grateful for: my family, the breath I am taking this morning, opportunity, dogs, house (roof over my head) etc. Me? I like to do it before bed – 3 things I am grateful for that day, 3 things that brought me joy, 3 things that are positive about tomorrow and then sometimes I write my feelings in a feelings journal. (Ok that might feel a little weird for some but that is where I get out the negative and reflect on why I am feeling that way)
- Exercise! – Take a walk, go to the gym, play a sport, stretch, play with your kids – get out an do something physical, you will feel so much better. I could be having the worst day but when I put on the catcher’s equipment and get out on the ball field I feel instantly better.
- Do something you enjoy – Whatever that is, just make time for it, plan it into your day if you have to.
- Pets – If you have a pet or your friend has a pet, spread some love and spend sometime with them – playing with a toy, catching a cuddle or even having a one sided conversation with them
Vacation – Virtual or reality – Take some time, you don’t have to go far or spend a lot of money but get out of your regular environment and explore. For me you will catch me on a beach, it is my #1 place to really relax. Sheri Hinish recently posted about taking a virtual vacation or using VR to help meditate, I haven’t tried it yet but I will because if VR can put me on a beach without actually getting on a plane I will be at the beach more often!
- Get Grounded – preferably in nature but you can do this in your office or at home, just sit in the peace and quiet and just be
- Spa Day – Book that massage or reflexology appointment and get your relax on!
- Therapy – Book an appointment with a therapist, I don’t know about you but man do I get into my own head sometimes and the only way I can untangle and make sense of it all is to go and talk it out with my therapist. Its a new adventure every time! Seriously though I would highly recommend this to anyone and I am not shy to say that I have had one off and on my whole life and it has made a world of difference for me personally and for the people around me.
Other thoughts: Get your health in order and see a Naturopath that specializes in functional medicine, like mine Dr Callum Cowen of Phenom HPM He was also on season 1 of the show talking about cortisol and how it can affect you or spend time finding your purpose and spend more time on that.
In the end, its all about living your best life and being your best self no matter what that looks like for you. Nobody is perfect, especially me but as long as you keep trying no one can hold you back.